Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Prosperity Project Revisited: Learning to Receive

The Prosperity Project was a game, originally suggested by Abraham-Hicks, that we played here on The New Book of Clues a few months ago.  Every day we took some time to visualize how we would spend a certain amount of imaginary money.  We started with $1000, and every day we got $1000 more dollars than the previous day.  


The game was designed to stretch our imagination when it comes to money.  Most of us had no trouble spending $1000.  I bought an all-weather jacket, Keen sandals, and a round-trip ticket to San Francisco.  The next couple of days were also relatively easy, because most of us had a backlog of things on our wishlist that we could buy or pay for.  By about Day 5, though, we started running out of things to buy.  Most of us had never imagined ourselves with large sums of money, and so our imaginations were unable to keep up with the growing numbers.  Which, of course, was the whole point of the game.  


The interesting thing that happened during the 28 days we played the Prosperity Project is that we all learned what it is we most desire out of life. Most of us spent the bulk of our money creating a sacred work space for ourselves.  My friend Bob built a wood shop in his backyard so that he could build things.  My friend Robyn built a successful insurance company.  I built a room of my own, where I could write, think, make music, nap, dream.  


Visualizing what we want is not always as easy as it sounds.  It is hard to focus on just one thing; we begin to realize that by choosing one thing in particular, we close the door on other things we might also have wanted.  For instance, I have conflicting dreams:  I want to travel all over the world in one dream, while in another dream I'm working out of my beautiful home and never want to leave.  We learn that while we can have anything we want, we cannot have everything we want.  We must choose.  We can't get what we want until we know what we want.


And yet while effective visualization is a challenge for us, it is nothing compared to the challenge of actually allowing ourselves to receive our heart's desire!  We first must get past the fact that deep down we feel unworthy.  That feeling of unworthiness is the reason it is so hard to admit that what we want is really what we want.  What I really wanted was my own house; yet, because I feel unworthy of all that, I focused my visualization on designing one small room on someone else's property.  What I found instead was a whole house, set apart just for me.  As soon as I saw the house, I knew that it was the perfect space I had been seeing in my mind.  


Those of us attracted to The Attitude of Gratitude Project tend to be people who learned to be grateful by  barely surviving a very dark time.  Many of us have been depressed, abused, addicted.  We have done things for which we are ashamed.  We barely feel worthy for the second or third chance we have been given at life.  It is a long stretch for us to imagine that we would also be rewarded with our heart's desire.  Yet that is what is required of us in order for us to be fully healed.  We must learn to see ourselves through God's eyes, as perfectly whole and complete, just the way we are.  We must learn to see ourselves as worthy to receive.  


This step is hard for me, as I imagine it is for many of you.  So, in the next few posts, I will be exploring the idea of learning to receive the great abundance that the Universe is wanting so badly to share with each of us.  I invite you to come along on this journey.  

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with worthiness all the time. It's so easy to see the worth in others and to even teach my children to believe in their own worth. But to truly believe at my core that I deserve my dreams is difficult.I think part of it is the responsibiity that comes with it. If I believe I deserve it and can have, then it's really only my own fault if I don't reach for it.

    Thank you for your reminders of gratitude and worth.

    ReplyDelete