Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back to School

School started yesterday.  I miss school.  I always loved the anticipation of the first day of school.  My mother would take us shopping for new clothes, which I tolerated.  But she would also take us shopping for new school supplies, which I adored.  I got to choose the notebooks and pens and pencils that I would use in organizing all of the new knowledge I was about to soak in.  Even many years later, as a graduate student, I used to love getting the book list for the semester, and making the week-before-school trip to the bookstore to get all my supplies.



Because I hate to feel left out of a good time, I've decided that this week is back-to-school week for me, as well.   My schedule is a heavy one, especially considering that I still have a full-time job.  But I thrive on heavy schedules, so I'm pretty excited about this semester.  Here is my class list:
  1. Brevard Community Chorus - Tuesday night rehearsals.  Repertoire and concert dates tba.
  2. Space Coast Oratorio Society - Sunday afternoon rehearsals.  Repertoire and concert dates tba.
  3. Ukulele lessons - Daily practice.  First concert Friday Oct 8 at the Shamrock Room.  
  4. The Attitude of Gratitude Project, Inc. - Learn how to run a nonprofit.  Submit 501(c)(3) app.
  5. Living Gratitude Blog - How to stay grateful in the face of life's many challenges.
  6. Nutrition - I'll be going on the candida diet (again) to get my body back to peak health after this summer's ear infection and unfortunate round of antibiotics.  I'll be working with Karen Walsh, who will be doing a series of lymphatic decongestive therapy on me, and who will also help me to bring my body's pH from extremely acidic to a more body-friendly alkiline state.  This class will require me to keep a lab book.   (I love lab books!)
  7. Mastermind Group - with Nicola Lennon.  We will be discussing Bob Proctor's book, You Were Born Rich.  I am delighted that two of my very best friends are part of this Mastermind with me.
  8. Graduate Seminar - Topic:  HOW DO WE LEARN TO CHANGE OUR THINKING SO THAT WE CAN CHANGE OUR RESULTS?  This last class I will be sharing with you here on The New Book of Clues.   It is intended to be a continuation of The Prosperity Project of last fall.
Our text for the Graduate Seminar will be How the Mind Works, by Steven Pinker.  I will be applying Pinker's theories on how and why our mind has evolved to do the things it does to what we currently understand about the Law of Attraction.  My theory is that if we can understand why we think the way we think, then we are in a better position to change our thinking.  It's a heavy book, literally and figuratively, so unless you are inclined to do graduate level reading I would recommend you let me do all the heavy work and satisfy yourselves with looking over my homework, here on The New Book of Clues.

Oh, don't worry, just because the text is heavy doesn't mean my blog will be.  I tend to turn everything into play, especially learning.  Want to come along?  It's shaping up to be a pretty exciting semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment