Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Prosperity Project Day 10

Today, we have $10,000 to spend on whatever our heart desires. Have you spent some time figuring out exactly what that is for you? Do you have a clear mental image of what is important to you? How do you plan to spend your days now that you are rich? Do you realize that if you earn a minimum of $10,000 every day you are earning a salary of $3,650,000? And you don't even have to play professional sports!

My heart's desire is to travel. I would love to be based here in my little Florida homestead with the boyfriend, but be free to travel around. I have friends and family far away that I'd love to be able to spend time with. There are places I've visited that I enjoyed so much I'd love to be able to spend a few months there. And, of course, there are still places that I've not yet seen. I also love to learn things, so I have a dream that one day I'll be able to attend workshops all over the world to listen to my favorite teachers. My acupuncturist does that now, and I think it's a wonderful way to use my money. Since I earn most of my money writing and speaking, it doesn't really matter where I set down my laptop.

By this time I've grown the pool store so that it is bringing in about $1,000,000 a year in revenue. It has gone from a little neighborhood store to an online superstore. The pool store's Facebook page has over 10,000 fans, and people follow the posts because they get to learn cool stuff about pools and spas, and possibly irrigation. It is the Car Talk of pool stores! The store is so successful that we are considering selling franchises. I have an excellent staff in place that takes care of the day-to-day operations. As CEO, I have online access to the general ledger, and my trained eye can tell that things are going well. Our founder, the boss-shaped creature, has trained someone else to know everything there is to know about repairing pumps and motors, and we have hired an experienced staff of irrigation contractors to work that end of the business. He is happily in Cancun sipping cocktails and pretending he's the only one on his beach. Life is good.

So now it's time to go visit my friend Billie in Maine. She's had yet another baby that I've never met, and the two boys are growing up without me. It's time to head up there for a few weeks to go shopping with my friend. And not at Walmart.

$10,000 Pool Store dividend

$ 1,000 God's money is still going to Tropical Motivation (Total $2,700)
$ 2,000 Wealth Building Account (Total $11,000)
$ 1,000 First class ticket to Portland, Maine
$ 2,000 To rent a house on a lake for two weeks. I'll have to find one that's winterized!
$ 1,000 To slip into Billie's wallet as I'm leaving!
$ 3,000 To spend on Billie and the kids while I'm there. I want to make sure her fuel oil tank is full, and buy her a freezer full of meat to get them through the long winter. I also want to make sure that she and the kids have winter jackets and good shoes. I miss my friend!

OK, now it's your turn! How will you spend your $10,000 today?

3 comments:

  1. My father in law once said that being a big box insurance agent was like having a license to print $100 bills. Apparently the same is true for us home town BlueSky agents. (He also said I'd never make it in real estate because I had no larceny in my heart. I really miss him.)

    My hard won reputation has allowed me to build a respectable agency & now it's time to bring on three trustworthy agents & a CSR. For those of you who know me, you know that by no means will my office hold 5 people. As it happens, there's a vacant spot on the island painted my exact color scheme which will certainly hold two agents & a CSR. (I'm sure my old landloard & neighbors would be thrilled to have me back.) There's also a spare desk at my cozy office in the village for my own "number one" as you will. In addition to being fully licensed he'll assist in managing both offices.

    All of my agents will be happy fun loving people who are master networkers. I'll also need a file clerk a few hours a week at each office. I have a friend with an adorable 16 year old daughter. I'll bet Suzanne would love a part time job.

    It's been along time since I've managed a staff & never for my own business. I'll be responsible for the livelyhood of several families right here in my own community. Wow that's an awesome concept.

    So, before I can bring on the people I need to suit up a whole other office & build a computer system. My IT guy is gonna love that. I'll need to increase my liability insurance & probably talk to someone about employee benefits. I'll need a payroll service for sure. (ok just as a side note, how many people do you know write a business plan when asked to name their dreams?)Oh I'll need a real phone system & security at both places. I always wanted a panic button when I worked at big box insurance, my girls are going to have one. My office needs electrical work & I think that's pretty much the near future plan.

    #10000 commissions payable to BlueSky

    $2000 God's money. Like my dear friend Valerie I am now a corporate sponsor for the Tropical Motivation three day festival which will be located right in my own village. Dude I'm on board.

    $2500 village office upgrades, elecrical & phone system

    $1800 1st & last month rent for the island office, How cool is it that I kept my old phone number.

    $1600 island office electrical & phone system uprades

    $1000 island office liability
    $100 file clerk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to expand my workshop concept and add in a few extras since I have the money. I decided to run plumbing in and out of the building so I can have a wash basin for brushes and tools, and so I can make coffee right there on site. I'll also put in a lav so I don't track sawdust into the house all the time. Since plumbing is just not my forte, I'll have to hire out that part of the building project. So, today's deposit and distribution calls for:

    Book royalties: $10,000

    Contribution to MO Victim's Center: $1,000
    Wealth building IRA: $1,000
    Vacation fund: $1,000
    Building materials: $7,000

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday, I had a difficult time imagining work that would bring in higher income. Then today I had an awareness. Being an office manager, I am kind of a Jill-of-all-trades and the support person for the other employees so they can accomplish THEIR work. My primary functions are bookkeeping which includes the billing, and customer service. Over the last few years I have come to conclusion that I am really a people person. Never thought I would ever say that, but that's another story. I have actually grown into the customer service roll and I find that I really enjoy it. Not too long ago, I remember tell the others at the office, including my boss, that I would love the business to grow to the point where all I did all day was billing, have an assistant to support ME, and manage a team of CSRs. Oooooo, I can just see the raises and the bonuses being paid! And since I do payroll along with the billing, that's not a far stretch. : ) AND, since I will be continuing to perform as an invaluable, irreplaceable, and highly paid 'partner', this looks more realistic all the time.

    Otherwise, I would like to be independently wealthy so I could volunteer at the local animal shelter or a veteran's hospital, or learn all the stuff I would need to know to remodel my house (hiring all the appropriate contractors to run the project, and teach me, of course).

    Or, I would love to work at a bookstore, or even OWN the bookstore; be a partner at Starbucks; an associate at a grocery store; or, in my wildest dreams, be a private detective solving crimes for people who can't afford to hire the help in order to see justice done OR even work for the Innocence Project to prove that justice is not blind.

    In the meantime, I'm going to spend today's deposit:

    $5000 - towards the house remodel project
    $1000 - savings (Suze Orman suggests having eight months' worth of living expenses in the bank... not sure how this reconciles with what we're doing here on the Prosperity Project, but it seems practical to me, so I'm working towards that goal)
    $1500 - treadmill for The Hubby to strength his cardiovascular system in preparation for the transplant
    $750 - new TV and DVD player for the treadmill workouts
    $400 - daily housekeeper M-F
    $600 to each my MOM and my brother
    $150 - ME! eating out with friends, maybe a movie with popcorn and soda, book-sniffing at Barnes and Noble

    ReplyDelete