Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

Prosperity Project Day 3

On day 3, we deposit $3000 into our imaginary bank account and decide how we will spend that money.

Yesterday I bought a first class plane ticket to San Francisco. All day I kept feeling the seat under me, imagining myself enjoying the ample leg room and sipping on a free cocktail.

I've also been thinking about how best to spend my money now that so much of it is rolling in. So I've devised a plan that today seems prudent. Not being used to having money, I reserve the right to change my mind later; but for now, I'm going to follow some advice I got from Robert Kiyosaki, who teaches to always save some of every money you get. That is how you build capital, he teaches, and capital is another name for wealth.

So my financial plan is this:

10% is God's money. I will follow my heart each day in deciding where this money should go.
20% will go into the wealth-building account, and I'll keep a running total of how much it grows.

Day 3:

$3000 goes into the imaginary checkbook

$300 to my friend Marie who fell and broke her shoulder, to help with expenses.
$600 Wealth-Building Account (total: $600)
$300 New 32-Gig iPhone 3Gs so I can take pictures with enough pixels to make a
SendOutCard and the ability to record video. 32 Gigs will give me enough room to
keep audiobooks, videos, and lots of music on my phone. When I travel the world,
I'll be able to have a powerful little tool that will do almost anything my laptop can
do, except spreadsheets (I'll be able to hire my own bookkeeper). I'll give my current
iPhone to my daughter as a house-warming gift.
$200 Pay Keri to come and give my house a really good cleaning.
$200 Have my car detailed
$500 Four new hubcaps for my Matrix
$900 Body work to make my car shiny and new

Today I'm going to the mall. I realized yesterday that I've never allowed myself to really shop before. I go to the store only to buy, and then only to buy absolute necessities as inexpensively as possible. I always have looked for the least expensive items in the store, because I believed that was all I could afford, and all that I deserved. Today I'm going to try on the most expensive clothing I can find, and I'm going to start getting used to the way they feel on me.

How will you spend your $3000?

5 comments:

  1. Today I am buying the camera that goes along with the lenses and accessories I purchased yesterday. Like Valerie, I spent yesterday imagining myself actually owning what I purchased, studying the lenses, feeling them operate in my hands and developing an understanding of which one to use when.

    The camera I am purchasing is a top of the line Canon because I deserve the best. It is more camera than I need right now but I will grow into it. I want to be able to capture what I see the way I see it and this Canon will do the trick. I learned a lot from an outstanding photographer the last few years and now I'll see if I can translate that into my own photos.

    Today's deposit: $3000
    Canon EOS Mark II camera: $3000

    Spending money from our accounts is just the beginning. I will imagine myself today opening the box with its crisp images on heavy cardboard and the smell of high quality merchandise as the lid opens and I pull out the pristine device. I'll imagine myself reading through all the documentation that comes with my new camera and taking a few minutes to just playfully shoot pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My $3000 deposit is easy to spend today. I agree with you on God's money & creating wealth, but before I can save I have to eliminate the debt that I've accrued starting up my business. So here goes:

    $1000 to the Space Coast Symphony Orchestra. One of my goals has always been to become a serious patron of the arts. How kind of Aaron Collins to create a symphony for me to support.
    $2000 towards my debt. This actually pays in full two of my smaller credit cards. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is easy for me.

    A friend of a friend has a friend who just had her 3rd child. Her second born who is about 2, was just diagnosed with brain cancer. This family is in desperate financial need for the necessities that I sometimes take for granted. So today, I choose to give my $3000 to this family in hopes that it will relieve some of the pressure of how to provide for their family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be an interesting exercise. On Day 1 I could feel the joy of paying for my FL trip and taking care of my furry ones. Day 2, I could feel some anxiety creep up in choosing how I was spending. Today, we'll see...

    Deposit $3000

    I totally agree with Robyn about paying off debt, so a big chunk of today's money will go towards credit card debt.

    $2000 - credit card debt
    $200 - long overdue dental checkup
    $500 - long overdue vision checkup and new glasses
    $200 - a hundred each to a couple of my favorite charities
    $100 - books, books, and more books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today with my $3000 I will pay $500 to Amex and 2500 to Bof A.. It's easy to pay off all that fun I had over the summer knowing that I will have even more money tomorrow. and Tomorrow I will be totally out of debt!
    Whoo Whoo!!

    ReplyDelete