Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Prosperity Project Day 16

Good day, my prosperous friends!

It's day 16 of our game, and today we have earned $16,000.  If we worked an 8-hour day, we are earning $2,000 an hour.  If we were to make this much money every single day, we would be making $5,840,000 a year!  That's a lot of money.  So far, we have spent $120,000, and between us we've done some amazing things.  We haven't even started getting into the big money yet, but already I'm sensing from each of us that we are finally settling in to our new lifestyles and are looking around at where to share the wealth. 

In my first few weeks of playing this game, I've done a lot of fun stuff.  I've taken many vacations, and spent quality time with excellent friends.  I've built a room and filled it with the tools I need to do the kind of work that makes my spirit sing.  My friend Bob has done the same thing with his woodshop, and Robyn with her insurance agency.  All of this shows me that Wallace Wattles is right when he says that the purpose of having money is so that we can have all that we need for the living of all the life that we want to live. 

I think it's natural, when you first come into a lot of money, to want to use it to play.  Many people, when they win a large fortune in the lottery, blow all of their money right away because they are probably doing just that.   On one South Park episode Eric Cartman, one of my favorite teachers of human nature, inherits $1,000,000 when his grandmother dies, so he buys an amusement park he names Cartmanland.  It's his own personal playground.  Being Cartman, it doesn't really turn out well for him, but that's his path, not mine. 

The last few days I've been feeling a bit like Cartman, and I have the urge to slow down now and settle comfortably into the space that I've built to do some meaningful work.  I'm tired from all the travelling I've been doing.  The cool weather has finally hit Florida; October has always been my favorite month to live here, so for the next few weeks I want to stay close to home.  I want to work in the yard, cutting back all the greenery that has gone wild in the humid summer weather.  I want to sit out in my Secret Garden, swing in the hammock, and watch the outdoor kitties playing in the yard.  I have a strong urge to be very still. 

The pool store is running so smoothly and making so much money that we were approached with an eager buyer.  The boss-shaped creature gladly sold the store.  He has enough money now that he can do anything he wants.  When I started working there his house was already paid for and his lifestyle was small and affordable.  Between all the money he's saved over the years and the chunk he got as a down payment on the business, he can go sit on the beach in Cancun for a few weeks until he gets bored, and then find a new game to play.  He likes to work way too much to just stop; this time, though, he'll find something to do that won't tie him to a retail store six days a week.  He is so grateful to me for giving him his life back that he has given me a nice chunk of the pool store money as his way of saying thank you.  I've enjoyed my time there, and we have become friends.  Even he teared up when we parted ways.

$16,000    Thank you gift from the boss-shaped creature. 

$  3,000    God's money goes to the choruses and band that I've performed with over the years.  It is the beginning of their season, and they are actively out looking for sponsors.  $500 each goes to The Brevard Chorale, The Brevard Community Chorus, The Community Band of Brevard, and The Space Coast Oratorio Society.  $1,000 will go to the new Space Coast Symphony Orchestra to help them buy percussion instruments. 

$  7,000    Wealth Building Account (Total $40,000) 

$  6,000     I've been wanting to build an outdoor kitchen.  The boyfriend and his friends always hang out in the wood shop out back, and we have lots of cookouts here.  I'm grateful that they all stay out of the house, yet I enjoy the fact that our home is a social hub.  Our friend's kids are getting old enough to be interactive, and their mom is an excellent cook.  Building the kitchen will keep all of them busy while I sit in the Secret Garden, on the other side of the property, and start my new book. 

It feels good not to have to show up at the pool store every day.  Although I enjoyed working there, I enjoy working from home even more.  This next book should be a good one, and I'm eager to see what it is that I have to say.  It's always a surprise. 

So, what plans do you have for your $16,000?

2 comments:

  1. I like the concept of an outdoors kitchen and I think I will put that on my wish list for an upcoming payday. It will be a great place to grill some fresh salmon or a nice steak plus make all the trimmings and keep the heat out of the house.

    The workshop really looks good even if I say so myself. It has everything I've always wanted: tools, dust collection system, a dust free room for painting and finishing, wood storage. And Valerie, the coffee is ready anytime you feel like flying up for a visit.

    I want to celebrate my book successes and the good fortune I have had to be able to get some things I have always wanted. I'm going to do that today by investing in others. A little different than the contributions and outright give-aways I enjoyed earlier but fun for me nonetheless.

    Today, I'll start a scholarship fund to help out those students who are neither gifted nor underprivileged, sectors that have scholarships available. Instead, this fund will be for those who have good grades but with parents that are not wealthy and for whom college expenses are a heavy burden. I'll put in $5,000 every week as long as I am able. After a year, the fund will have over a quarter million dollars plus interest. That should help a few families.

    There is also a friend of mine who has a brilliant idea for a business and who is more than capable of making it a success. Time and money are all that's holding her back. I can't buy time but I can invest some money. I'm going to start that fund now and add to it each week until the start up funds are all in place. In the meantime, she can start separating herself from her job and start making plans to launch the business. This is an exciting time!

    Book royalties and movie rights payout: $16,000

    Wealth building account: $3,000
    Vacation fund: $3,000
    Scholarship fund at the University of Arkansas: $5,000
    First investment check in my friend's business: $5,000

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are so far ahead of me in the imagination department! But, as I'm sitting here thinking about 'the kind of work that makes my heart sing' (thank you Valerie!), I've decided to DO IT ALL and see where it takes me! There will be a bit of a learning curve in each of these endeavors, so I think a year spent experiencing each will be a good thing.

    First, I'm going to OWN A BOOKSTORE. I love books... the feel of books, the smell of books, the ideas, the words... I read a book, then give it away to be enjoyed by others. So, part of my bookstore will have a New section to keep up with what's current, to provide quality gifts, to imbue the store with the book-sniffing aroma I so love! It will also have a huge! economy priced used book section for people to buy at reasonable prices, to find older books not in print anymore (therefore not in the New section), and to buy, buy, buy, read, read, read, and give away without feeling like you are wasting money by giving away a book you just bought but only took a day to read! My bookstore will also have a section reserved for those who can't afford books, kinda like a library. They can choose any book in the store they want to read, but it never leaves the store. When they are done, they put it on the shelf in the In-house Library section, and choose another. This section will have comfy chairs, and free coffee. : ) After my first year at the bookstore, I will either turn it over to a manager, or sell it. Depends on my feelings at the time.

    Then I'm off to learn how to make all those specialty Starbucks-type coffees. The store will have free Wi-Fi and daily newspapers from all over the world so people can sit with their freshly brewed mug of delightful whatever and read about world happenings. There will also be a great fresh food / bakery section for snacking while sipping.

    Ah. Schooling for the private detective side of me. Gotta learn the laws, learn some martial arts, figure out how to handle a gun. I'm probably more like Stephanie Plum, Bail Enforcement Officer, than Kinsey Milhone, PI. Stephanie is on the chubby side (like me), can't run a mile (like me), has donuts for breakfast (like me), knows how to handle a gun, but keeps it unloaded in a cookie jar and never has it when she needs it. But, she always gets her man! I'm thinking a couple of years for this wild side of me due to the classes that will need to be taken in order to get certified and licensed.

    After I've caught the last bad guy out there (this IS imaginary, remember), then I'll continue to use my sleuthing skills to track down dead people... I will need to figure out how to keep from puking while viewing microfilm (never grew out of my motion sickness), but I still remember the goose bumps when I found my great-grandmother who died before her twenty-fifth birthday. Awesome... to do this and get paid for it!

    I'll have made so much money during these last several years, I can spend a year working pro bono for the Innocence Project.

    There are still some items to take care of here at home before I venture off into vocation dreamland, so I'm going to spend today's deposit:

    $1600 - savings (to-date $11,500)
    $1600 - to my favorite charities
    $10,000 - because we don't know whether he will receive a liver transplant or not, now is the time refurbish Hubby's Big Garage so he has a place where he can enjoy ALL his Guy Stuff, which keeps creeping into our very small house and pushing me out... (actually, it's just hard to clean when every surface is stacked two feet high with Stuff). We need to reroof, finish the shelving and work bench area, replace the light panels, and run electricity to the building from the house, which means upgrading the electrical for the house. wahoo! My first house-remodel item, too!

    $2000 towards my sister's chiropractic school expenses
    $800 - to ME!

    ReplyDelete